Rock Star Journalist has been suffering a little lately, as I’ve been working a lot of freelance for the Pitch in advance of the Folk Alliance International Conference. It’s a five-day conference taking place in Kansas City this week, starting today, and running through Sunday. I had the fun job of interviewing some of the showcasing artists in order to help promote it, and that’s pretty much sucked all of my energy lately. However, I’ve gotten to speak with people like actor / musician Ronny Cox about the new Robocop remake, ask BR5-49’s Chuck Mead about his work on Broadway, and so much more. You can check out all my interviews (sans one, which hasn’t run yet) after the jump, as well as details of how to attend the conference.
* Christine Lavin on her work with Don White and laptop concerts
* The Black Lillies‘ Cruz Contreras on the band’s origins and building a fanbase
* Guitar virtuoso Redd Volkaert on teaching and pleasing the audience
* Chuck Mead talks Plowboy Records, his new album, and the Million Dollar Quartet
* Whiskey Shivers‘ Andrew VanVoorhees on the band’s evolving sound
* Gangstagrass mastermind Rench on what bluegrass and hip-hop have in common
* Ronny Cox on the differences between playing music and making movies
The Folk Alliance International Conference starts today, February 19, and runs through Sunday, February 23. You can find me there Friday, February 21. More details can be found at the Folk Alliance website.